Job Title: Junior Accountant
The Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF) seeks a Junior Accountant/Accounts Payable to provide support to the Finance Department by managing daily accounting tasks. The Junior Accountant will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the organization’s finances. Preparing financial statements and reporting are a significant component of the Junior Accountant’s daily responsibilities. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail.
The position is based in the LRF New York City office; please note that the organization utilizes a flex schedule and all New York-based staff are required to work in the LRF office weekly Tuesday-Thursday; staff may elect to work remotely Mondays and Fridays.
- Create journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded for the review/approval and posting of the Controller
- Review all invoices and payment requests from staff and properly vet and review invoices for accurate coding, amounts, and other details on an invoice in preparation for data entry into the organization’s accounting system, Blackbaud Financial Edge
- Update accounts payable and issue payments
- Support staff in the filing and reconciliation of expense reports and in conducting Foundation business activity.
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to company accounting and financial guidelines for Finance Department leadership
- Assist with review of expenses, payroll records etc., as assigned
- Update financial data in organization databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Assist Finance Department leadership in the preparation of monthly and yearly closings
- Assist with preliminary bank reconciliation specifically for accounts payable related transactions
- Provide financial information for internal grant applications and grant reconciliation reports, as requested
- Facilitate effective communication with other staff in the Foundation within an interdisciplinary context and exhibit a professional demeanor that is conducive to building positive relationships with other staff, vendors, and all stakeholders
- Participate in training and staff-development activities to acquire and maintain both interpersonal and operational skills necessary for successful job performance
- Assist with special interdepartmental assignments, as assigned
- Support the implementation of best practices by contributing to the Finance Department and continuous improvement efforts that that increase value created and efficiency of work
- Support other duties and analyses for management as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other business concentrations and at least one year of related professional experience
- Experience and best practice knowledge of accounting functions within a non-profit environment
- Familiarity with financial concepts such as GAAP, standard concepts, best practices, and procedures
- Proficiency in MS Office suite; Experience with accounting software including Financial Edge or similar systems
- Ability to prepare financial reports and presentations
- Highly accountable and trustworthy, with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, collaborative team culture
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills with a high degree of sensitivity for confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Professional demeanor
- Demonstrated experience as a self-starter, with a record of effectively taking initiative
- Dynamic, fast learner who is highly organized, analytical and a creative problem solver
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Junior Accountant” in the subject line.